08 Nov Recipe of the Week: Delicious Heart Healthy Smoothie
Starting the day off with a nutrition packed smoothie is the perfect pick-me-up your body needs. Not only are you fueling yourself with food based vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants, but with this particular smoothie you are giving your heart an extra boost of health.
Ingredients (serves 2):
- 1/2 cup frozen organic strawberries
- 1/2 cup frozen organic blueberries
- 1/2 cup frozen organic cherries
- 1/4 cup old fashioned oats
- 1 Tbl ground flaxseeds
- handful of baby spinach or kale
- 3/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/4 cup pomegranate juice
- ½ tsp raw honey
Combine all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. Add a little extra pomegranate juice or water to make the consistency thinner if you desire.
The added oatmeal and flax seeds contain soluble fiber that help our bodies eliminate unwanted LDL cholesterol. The fruits and greens give us free radical protection by way of naturally occurring antioxidants. Is there a healthier way to start the day than with this delicious combination? We think not!