08 Nov Recipe of the Week: Cauliflower Rice
While cauliflower was something of a forgotten veggie for years, it has resurfaced with a vengeance as of late. Everything from cauliflower mashed “potatoes”, to pizza crust, and rice alternatives have turned this once bland produce item into the new foodie darling. We’d like to admit that cauliflower definitely deserves all of this new found attention, because it is a fantastically versatile and healthy vegetable. It is belongs to the cancer fighting cruciferous veggie family and is full of Vitamin C and other antioxidants.
Cauliflower is also rich in minerals and phytonutrients causing it to be a potent anti-inflammatory and a natural detoxifier. Substituting cauliflower rice for regular rice is just one great way to add in this beneficial vegetable to your diet. We love this recipe, and cauliflowers!…..and hope you do too.
-1 large cauliflower
-1 tbsp. organic extra virgin olive oil
-pinch of salt
- Break the cauliflower into large pieces and remove the tough inner core until you have just the florets.
- Place the cauliflower in a food processor, but do not fill it all the way to the top. You may need to split it into 2 batches.
- Pulse the cauliflower in short pulses until it has the consistency of rice or quinoa.
- Pull out any pieces that were not chopped all the way down, and re-process them until they are of the correct consistency.
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan, add the cauliflower and salt.
- Cover and cook for 5-10 minutes checking regularly until it reaches the desired tenderness.